A Letter to Jerry Clark from Gaines M Crook [1991]
Gaines M. Crook
December 29, 1991
Mr. Jerome Clark, Editor
International UFO Reporter
612 North Oscar Ave.
Canby, MN 56220
RE: Publication of Paper.
Dear Mr. Clark:
I have followed the UFO scene
with interest since I first read about them in 1947. I have
increasingly been dissatisfied with all sorts of reported UFO
effects being called "electromagnetic effects". About a year
and a half ago I decided to write a paper which was intended to examine
some cases in the light of a knowledge of electromagnetics and report the
results. I chose as a starting point Rodeghier's excellent
"UFO Reports Involving Vehicle Interference" and added a
few cases which I thought were significant. These cases were reorganized
by what occurred during the sighting and then analyzed for true
electromagnetic involvement (as we presently understand
electromagnetics).
This paper was completed about the end
of 1990 and was sent to MUFON to see if they would
publish it. I received a very enthusiastic reply from
Walt Andrus in January, 1991. He wanted me to divide it into two parts
along with the references because it was too long to publish in one
issue. I did this and sent it back to him. In this paper I
discussed my disagreement with the ideas of James McCampbell both about
"electromagnetic effects" as well as the statement which he made in
his 1976 CUFOS conference paper "UFO Interference With Automobile
Electrical systems, Part I Headlights" as follows:
"--But there is no reason to assume that the mechanisms by
which vehicle interference take place are beyond the capacity of
contemporary science."
I heard no more from Walt until
October, 1991 when I got an envelope from him with an
"evaluation" of my paper by McCampbell. It turns out that
McCampbell is MUFON's "Director of Research"! He
was very upset with my disagreement with him and
vetoed the publication of my paper. This sort of "referee"
system strikes me as a little bit odd, but then so is most everything
else in the UFO World!
The UFO field is at a distinct
disadvantage in regard to the publication of technical papers since
probably less than 1% of the readers could comprehend a
genuinely technical paper. Even those with backgrounds
in various technical fields would not necessarily understand
the details of technical papers in another field so one is forced to
write as if the paper were to be published in the popular
press. On the other hand, if we try to publish in a
legitimate technical journal, the staff and readership will be not only
unfamiliar with the UFO literature but will also be upset at the effrontery of
the author for even believing in such a forbidden subject. I had thought
of attempting to publish my paper in the Journal of the IEEE
Electromagnetic Compatibility Society (of which I am a member).
The quality of UFO literature is
generally very poor. Some of the references quoted in some
papers are stretched to the limits so the end result is that
the relationship becomes no more than rumors. An example is XXXXXXX [N.B.
"XXXXXXX" is not identified and so far none of the documents I have
recovered make further reference to this- jc]
I have included copies of
all of the correspondence surrounding this situation.
If you would like to publish the
paper I would be pleased. If on the other hand you do not wish to
publish it that is O.K. too. The greater benefit of
writing any paper is in getting things straightened out in
one's own mind. If you have any questions you may call me…
Yours truly,
Gaines M. Crook

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home