UFO Conjectures

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Ufology’s raison d'être: Escapism

Copyright 2018, InterAmerica, Inc.
Escapism: In psychoanalytic therapy, this term denotes the tendency to escape from reality functioning to the relative security of childhood, a tendency often manifested by an accentuation of neurotic symptoms. It is a form of resistance. [Psychiatric Dictionary, Hinsie/Campell, Oxford University Press, Page 282]

We all know (or should) that the deep dive into UFO accounts (and paranormal activities) is a regression to one’s childhood, and paying attention to the behavior or commentary of those inclined to UFOs (especially the Roswell incident) makes it clear that we're not seeing mature adults indulging in mature intelligence.

I often cite Kevin Randle’s blog [kevinrandle.blogspot.com] because that’s where one will find, in the comments section, the basest of thought about UFOs and reality.

Kevin can write about anything but when he inserts the word “Roswell” in a title or anywhere, the neurotics and crazies will swarm like moths to a flame (to use The Anomalist’s Bill Murphy’s analogy).

Any similitude to common sense or intelligent dialogue is bogus if one is paying rapt attention to the “debates” there.

Blogs, aside from mine, are often founts of judicious thought or speculation, Kevin’s among them and many more (that I often link to here).

But, irritably for some, the appended comments that bloggers solicit as Facebookers do “likes” are woefully inept and ignorant.

But not ignorant as a lapse in intelligence but neurotically ignorant as a slip back into childhood thought and the desire to reclaim what one’s fantasies (memories) of their childhood were.

I once was enamored of the so-called UFO ETH and even a fan of von Däniken’s theory of ancient astronauts, but as St. Paul wrote, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." [NT, Corinthians 1:13]

Ufologists have to outgrow the ETH and the silly AA theory. Neither can be reconciled with the cosmic reality as we know it.

And those clinging to Roswell as fervently as they do, pro and con advocates, are the most neurotic of UFO buffs, escapism is their life-line it seems, no matter how neurotic that symptom of madness is.

It’s sad, to me, that when I wish to pursue blogger thought or presentations, that I have to slog through the reams of cluttered thought that permeates the blogger venue, mostly because the blogger desires any kind of attention or needs whatever pecuniary reward they are striving for or need.

Ufology has always been rife with infantile thought, but that it remains so, in 2018, goes to the heart of madness that Foucault outlined about the middle ages in his Madness and Civilization and keeps the UFO phenomenon off limits for the intelligentsia.

RR 

4 Comments:

  • Infantile thought about UFOs, on blogs, may well be a kind of madness BUT it does not explain why the phenomenon is off limits for the intelligentsia. I maintain that the subject is off limits for the intelligentsia and the academic community because academics have been warned away for decades that to touch this "third rail" will put their careers in mortal danger. And being the cowards that they are, almost all have complied.

    The government has asserted for decades that there is nothing serious about the UFO phenomenon. Major government reports (The Condon Report) have concluded that the subject is mostly nonsense and that interest at all levels should be discouraged. There is no serious government funding for UFO research. The entire subject can smell like some giant conspiracy (mysterious deaths, blacked out documents, confiscated film, etc.) and that always destroys legitimacy in the academic world. For academics, therefore, writing seriously about UFOs is a suicide mission that can only be undertaken, if ever, in retirement.

    By Blogger Dominick, at Sunday, August 12, 2018  

  • Dominick you make a point.

    But I'm stressing that commentary by UFO buffs, in blogs and elsewhere are so steeped in escape to their childhood fantasies, that anyone with half a brain is wise to ignore them.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Sunday, August 12, 2018  

  • @Dominick
    By 'The Govt' I assume you mean the US authorities. Other governments are not so dismissive. Both the French & the Chilean Govts take a more serious 'official' & scientific approach to UFO incidents, openly investigating those they deem worthy of further analysis & publishing their findings. (Sadly, rarely in English!)

    Why the French state has a team of UFO hunters - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29755919

    Chile Releases Official Study on UFO Photos - https://www.huffingtonpost.com/leslie-kean/government-agency-in-chil_b_5558713.html?guccounter=1

    By Blogger DrDee, at Wednesday, August 15, 2018  

  • Ah, the circular reasoning of the worldwide "UFO" conspiracy theory, a simple matter of shifting the burden of truth. Believers can't produce evidence of real "UFOs" so the fact of foreign government "studies" become evidence themselves.

    And Leslie Kean too!

    Could you morons get any more desperate?

    Geesh!

    By Blogger zoamchomsky, at Friday, August 17, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home