John Keel: A Paragon of Insight or a Paranoid swunk
Copyright 2018, InterAmerica, Inc.
Again I see a reference to John Keel (by Chris Savia for The
Anomalist, 10/7).
My pal, Nick Redfern is a John Keel fanboy, as are many
other UFO advocates.
I had and have most of John Keel’s works in my UFO library,
and he had been an influence on me in my earlier years following the flying
saucer topic.
His works are noted here (by Wikipedia):
But its obvious to those with psychological training that
John Keel descended into a paranoidal madness, beginning in the late 1960s.
John was a closeted homosexual (perhaps) during a time when
being gay was not the au courant status it is today but he lived long enough to
see that being gay wasn’t the bane that engulfed many earlier on, Oscar Wilde
the archetype of the persecuted advocate of “the love that dare not speak its
name.”
(Some say that Ambrose Bierce, very likely a person John
Keel admired, was gay.)
In our time, Bruce Duensing, not gay, seemed near madness at
the time of his death. He and I communicated avidly during his final days, he
suggesting his heart doctor (yikes!) for me and offering his home where I might
stay if I decided to take him up on the offer.
Bruce told me that he had an uncle who was a Nazi officer
working in the death camps, a connection that bothered Bruce mightily.
During this time, after Bruce’s son committed suicide, Bruce
saw an apparition in his kitchen, and had me contact Bruce Maccabee to evaluate
a photo of the apparition that Bruce captured.
Was Bruce and John mad (somewhat or more), or did they have
access to something outside normal reality which left them with a patina of
madness, something, I think, that is the overlay of many who are ascribed to be
schizophrenic but which is only the appearance of madness brought about by
one’s inability to explain or communicate the weirdness they were experiencing
or had experienced?
My take is that John Keel became apparently demented because
of the supposed communications by “the others” that took over his life about
which he wrote extensively.
The John Keel web-site [http://www.johnkeel.com] provides
access to the communications that ruined John Keel’s life.
That today’s paranomalists or ufologists keep foisting
John’s oeuvre (the latter stuff anyway) on unsuspecting UFO newbies and the
gullible oldsters is kind of shameful.
It does disservice to John’s early work(s) and to the truth
of what John’s reality had become.
That the Men in Black, fostered by John Keel and made
redolent by Nick and Savia, are seen as possible psychic manifestations rather
than the ambassadors of CIA or government secrecy helps understand John Keel’s
bouts with dementia (madness).
But to keep lauding John’s work as a bastion of insight goes
a bit far I think.
His memory and work have to be put into perspective,
honoring him accordingly and proffering the truth and reality as it was or
really is.
RR


16 Comments:
I think it's worth noting that the reason why I think that the MIB are something supernatural (rather than from the Pentagon, etc etc) is simply because that's how most people describe the MIB they see: gaunt, pale, weird, skin like plastic, etc. The percentage of the "secret agent" angle is tiny compared to the weird angle.
By
Nick Redfern, at Monday, October 08, 2018
As for Keel's writings and theories, I think his biggest influence (to me, at least) was his ability to skillfully note the parallels between such phenomena as UFOs, Cryptid creatures (Mothman, lake monsters, etc), the supernatural and the occult. I guess that issue of Keel's suggesting that they are all part of one bigger issue that we don't fully understand, is what I mainly take away from his books.
By
Nick Redfern, at Monday, October 08, 2018
Keel, Nick, influenced many of us, but we have to move on.
His insights and investigations have been mined thoroughly.
We need fresh insights and investigations.
Keel, today, takes us nowhere and his late material is marred by his paranoidal mind-set, his onset of dementia.
Thrusting him forward is a detriment to ufology. We all have absorbed his great thinking.
Let's not corrupt that thinking by lauding his latter madnesses.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Monday, October 08, 2018
Well, there's no doubt that his writing/thoughts were at their peak in the late 1960s and thru the 1970s, and after that it was pretty much a case of going over old ground.
Keel's latter day theories didn't add much to what he had already said decades earlier, but I still think that his views on how multiple phenomena (cryptids, aliens, the occult etc) are somehow part of one larger, unified phenomenon are valid, which is why I still take deep notice of them.
But, yeah, today there is nothing new that we can add to Keel's views that hasn't already been said.
I don't know about dementia, but I definitely think he had more than a few paranoid moments. In part, that comes from obsessing over UFOs all day long, rather than making it just an issue of interest, and having a life away too. Over the years I have warned more than a few people of the hazards of living 24/7 for UFOs, which is not healthy at all. I think Keel had little to occupy himself with, beyond UFOs, hence the peeking thru the curtains, paranoia about hang-up phone calls, etc.
By
Nick Redfern, at Monday, October 08, 2018
"His insights and investigations have been mined thoroughly." Agreed. But, that doesn't mean he's wrong...
By
Nick Redfern, at Monday, October 08, 2018
No, indeed, Keel was on to something, prescient actually about where we are now: the unified paranormal.
That there is a circus of oddities, all under one tent, seems likely.
You know my view on "dementia" -- serious madness, like schizophrenia: those people suffering from the mental malady are not insane but have access to the weird other reality and go off balance trying to understand it and seeming to be crazy when they try to communicate what they have experienced or are experiencing.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Monday, October 08, 2018
Puzzled by the speculation re JK's sexual orientation. What relevance does this have to his work?
By
First State Skywatcher, at Tuesday, October 09, 2018
Michael:
When one is harried by fear that they'd be "outed" as homosexual, before the recent about face regarding gays, that affected one's thinking and behavior.
I'm not denigrating Keel's early work, as you can see by reading my comments above.
I'm noting that in his latter years he became disoriented, paranoidal, as one can readily see by his missives after the late 1960s.
Noting that he may have been homosexual is a footnote to his personality. Trying to smother that possibility is old school: we talk about being gay or not readily in my academic circles.
I don't think one should become defensive (for Keel or themselves) but understand that during Keel's heyday, being gay (homosexual actually) took a toll.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Tuesday, October 09, 2018
How many times must I remind you guys that John Keel admitted that everything he ever wrote about the so-called paranormal was utter make-it-up bullshit?
"I had a nice long chat with John Keel (1930-2009) at the bar during the 1980 National UFO Conference in New York City. He freely admitted to me that he knew that approximately 99% of what he's writing is absolute codswallop." --Robert Sheaffer
Keel knew the very idea of "UFOs" was utter nonsense; he wrote "The Man Who Invented Flying Saucers" after all. Keel was a writer, period. In one recounting of how he, Barker and Moseley cooked up the "mothman" nonsense, he began with a sentence to the effect, "Well, I had a contract to write a flying-saucer book...." That tells us quite a lot about Keel's attitude on the "UFO" non-issue and reveals--if it wasn't obvious--what has propelled "UFOs" since the first airship hoax in 1896. It's not element 115.
The point was that the "quantum UFO" hypothesis is just as worthless as the "interdimensional UFO" hypothesis of the 1970s because it's not falsifiable, one of the hallmarks of pseudoscience. It explains nothing. Keel's "ultraterrestrials" (and every other excuse) are no better than invoking magic fairies or Easter Bunny as a meta-rationale for the lack of evidence of real "UFOs" of any kind.
By
zoamchomsky, at Tuesday, October 09, 2018
Colour photograph of 'John Keel with girl friend at Åke´s apartment October 1976'
http://ufoarchives.blogspot.com/2013/05/ake-franzen-john-keel-and-mothman.html
zoamchomsky said...
'How many times must I remind you guys that John Keel admitted that everything he ever wrote about the so-called paranormal was utter make-it-up bullshit?
"I had a nice long chat with John Keel (1930-2009) at the bar during the 1980 National UFO Conference in New York City. He freely admitted to me that he knew that approximately 99% of what he's writing is absolute codswallop." --Robert Sheaffer...'
Any audio recording of this?
Your message seems to be that we should completely believe whatever Robert Sheaffer tells us; but completely disbelieve whatever John Keel told us.
By
Daniel Transit, at Wednesday, October 10, 2018
Zoamchomky, Of course it's all foolishness. We scientists know that a quantum fluctuation in the eternal void suddenly exploded. Then it went through inflation. And here we are. Magic is silly.
By
esp.philbrook, at Wednesday, October 10, 2018
"Your message seems to be that we should completely believe whatever Robert Sheaffer tells us; but completely disbelieve whatever John Keel told us."
No, there's nothing inconsistent in believing what both have said. As I said, Keel wrote "The Man Who Invented Flying Saucers" about Ray Palmer and Richard Shaver; and Keel wrote openly about how it was a "flying saucer" book contract that necessitated the invention of the "mothman" nonsense with the help of his friends Moseley and Barker, two known "flying saucer" pranksters. Keel also wrote scripts for popular TV shows in 1960s. It was all just a job to him, getting paid to write, the subjects were whatever struck his fanciful imagination at the time.
Believe what you like.
By
zoamchomsky, at Friday, October 12, 2018
philbrook; Have you ever heard of the "False equivalence" logical fallacy?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence
By
zoamchomsky, at Friday, October 12, 2018
It could be relevant. I wanted to point out that many of the latest scientific theories strike me as similar to mothman and UFO"s, magic. If the theories are proven I'll grant the equivalent false. I think right now, as far as eyewitness testimony goes, flying saucers are way ahead of the big bang.
By
esp.philbrook, at Saturday, October 13, 2018
philbrook; I've read hundreds of "close encounter" stories and not one is of any consequence. Singly or as a whole they are all utterly inconsequential.
But Big Bang theory explains the mutual recession of galaxies, as evidenced by their red-shifts, otherwise known as the expansion of the Universe; the abundances of light elements and their homogeneous distribution throughout; the cosmic microwave background radiation is consistent with a primeval-fireball event in a state of thermal equilibrium; and when that ordered state erupted, spacetime was created.
So there's real evidence for the Big Bang, but not so much for "UFOs" of any kind. And witness' testimony is famously unreliable. Thousands of files, but nothing in those files. Consequences are what matter in the Universe.
By
zoamchomsky, at Saturday, October 13, 2018
FWIW, I've exchanged some correspondence with a friend who knew Keel well. He had this to say: "As a matter of fact, John readily admitted that he was concerned about his sanity during his Mothman period. I saw him regularly from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s or so, and talked to him on the phone every few months after that. I never, ever witnessed any behavior or speech that indicated any mental illness. Also, I never saw any indication that he was gay."
By
First State Skywatcher, at Saturday, October 13, 2018
Post a Comment
<< Home