Hidden Treasures
Copyright 2020, InterAmerica
Those who read The New Yorker know that the magazine offers
weekly renderings of what’s going on in the cultural milieu of New York and its
environs: theater, music (classical and pop), dance, art, et cetera.
And for more than a decade, the magazine’s listings indicate
a devolution (or degradation) in the arts.
Music, classical and pop, have become poor examples of
cultural progress. Hip-hop has replaced melodic structure and compositional
refines, becoming utterings of the primitive lower classes, while classical
works (opera and symphonic) have become compositional shadows of what once was
brilliant creations using chromatic and diatonic techniques that composers
today can’t muster or provide, resorting to noise and gimmicks to make what the
refined elements of society accept as music.
Dance has become acrobatic exercises masquerading as
gracious movement once exemplified in ballet and courtly gatherings.
But there’s something to harvest, and it’s this….
While devotees of UFOs get tired of reading about old flying
saucer sightings and events, just as the upper crust crowd is bored with
renderings of old classical pieces and moldy opera or studied ballet
performances, there may be gold to be mined in elements of the cultural past,
just as there might be opportunities to understand the UFO enigma in past
sightings that haven’t been reduced to redundancy or hyperbolic overload.
I’ve added a few here recently, just as I’ve scoured music
compositions and ballets that haven’t been exploited to death by organizational
directors who unimaginatively present past art, music, dance, or opera to try
and fill emptying halls or museums.
Scrounging around, like an archaeologist, among the dustbins
of UFO accounts, one will surely find one or two fascinating episodes that
out-rival recent sightings of lights or blips in the air, some assaulting the
senses of U.S. Navy pilots.
The vapid music, art, and dance of today is not unlike the
vapid sightings of things in the sky or waters around the globe, both (and all)
trite and uninteresting, in every way imaginable.
So, don’t eschew past UFO accounts, those that remain
esoteric in the literature, just as one shouldn’t dismiss the overly repeated
music of Beethoven or the humdrum operas of Puccini or the art of the
Renaissance.
There are treasures galore in everything if one digs deep
enough to find them.
RR




23 Comments:
"Hip-hop has replaced melodic structure and compositional refines, becoming utterings of the primitive lower classes, "
Well said! I agree completely and would add that the same trend can be seen in the art world where non-representational art is ubiquitous because "artists" are not sufficiently trained to actually draw the human figure, architectural or nature scenes. The rise of the uneducated is seen everywhere, from tattoos and body piercings, the acceptance of porn, reversion to primitive dance moves, even politics is getting ever more coarse. And Hollywood feeds into (or enhances) these trends whenever possible.
In keeping with that overall trend, even UFO sightings have become greatly diminished in their complexity. "Lights in the night sky" or a white blur in the distance are boring and useless. Particularly annoying given that almost everyone is carrying around a video camera in their pocket. The golden age of UFO sightings has long since faded into history.
By
solarity, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
Ah, Solarity we are alike in thinking.
The situation in society is depressing.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
Hi
Interesting points but as a music lover myself, I think that today there`s more wonderful music made than ever in the history and if people can`t find stuff they like it`s their own shame. Sure, the commercial radios are full of crap and you need to take some time to find something more challenging but hey, it`s worth it. You like old jazz? Progressive rock? Punk? There are internet radios and sites just for you. Don`t give up : )
@Rich
"Hip-hop has replaced melodic structure and compositional refines, becoming utterings of the primitive lower classes"
Yeah, isn`t that what they said about The Beatles? How they supposedly were destroying the musical taste of teenagers? Hip hop isn`t my favourite music (I`m much more into guitar pop, ambient, trance and psytrance, classic rock, old jazz, art rock and progressive, experimental electronic and whatever) but I wonder why it`s so much easier to "blame" some music (or art) style than to look to the mirror and understand that it could be your problem, not theirs?
"The situation in society is depressing."
No, it`s not. I really can`t understand why you want to spread this negativity. What`s the use? You think the world would be a better place if people stopped listening hip hop and started going museums? Like everything was better in the 50`s when violence was much more commonplace and there was a lot less of sexual and domestic violence (=the victims didn`t often report the crimes).
@solarity
"the same trend can be seen in the art world where non-representational art is ubiquitous because "artists" are not sufficiently trained to actually draw the human figure, architectural or nature scenes."
You got some proof? I think that artists have to know the rules before they can start breaking them.
"The rise of the uneducated is seen everywhere, from tattoos and body piercings, the acceptance of porn, reversion to primitive dance moves, even politics is getting ever more coarse"
So uneducated are the problem? What`s your education and who made you the one who gets to decide what others lives should be? And if "tattoos and body piercings, the acceptance of porn" are a problem to you, that`s your problem, not anyone elses.
Anyway, sorry I`m too harsh, I must say I love your profile pic, that used to be one of my favourite movies but I haven`t seen it in ages.
P.S. Rich, sorry, I`m grumpy. I really respect your opinions (and your New Yorker recommendations). And this is the only UFO blog I read regularily. But if you feel I crossed the line, please just delete this comment, I don`t mind.
JC
By
Jerry Cornelius, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
These here young whippersnappers these days and their durn measley lights in the sky...why in my day we had real UFO sightings with bizarre ovoid craft with markings and different varieties of craft occupants, not these humungous vaguely-defined sky covering triangular things...maybe this region of "reality" has new owners now and, unlike our previous owners, have different "transport" and don't like to show themselves? I am thinking that Charles Fort postulated something like this...it seems as if UFO sightings might evolve as our societies change? The flying saucers and extremely unsettling appearing saucer occupants of the Elvis Era have been replaced by giant floating triangles that don't really do anything except...float away...
By
Zeke The Poltroon, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
Jerry, my boy...
As a fellow New Yorkian fan, I'd never delete your commentary. You're happy with hip-hop and that's fine.
I don't call it music but I bet our pal Bryan Sentes would see it as a kind of poetry, and I do too. but of a primitive kind.
You can be grumpy all you want to be, here. I'm often grumpy myself, but that's so obvious to say it is unnecessary.
I'm happy that you are content with life as it is -- that's a healthy stance in a number of ways.
So, keep at it. I enjoy the comeuppances, when they come from people who are sane.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
In the past, this information has been suppressed - but now it can be told...
Every man, woman, and mutant on this planet shall know the truth about DE-EVOLUTION!
(In the Beginning - was The End...) ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRguZr0xCOc
By
DrDee, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
@Jerry Cornelius
And for the 'Messiah of the Scientific Age' - here's some science! ;)
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/science-proves-pop-music-has-actually-gotten-worse-8173368/
By
DrDee, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
Zeke,
Those Triangle thingies bore me.
There's no excitement there.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
DrDee...
Pop music has devolved. The voices of music today are all alike; no Jim Morrison, Louie Armstrong, Lennon, Janice Joplin, Grace Slick, Ronstadt, Aretha, Billie Holiday, Roy Orbison, Ella, et al.
I was at the dentist not long ago and the music being piped in was worse than the drill, even with Novacaine.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
Further to the 'Pop music getting worse' hypothesis - the late, great critic and musicologist Ian MacDonald - in his eminently (re)readable tome 'Revolution in the Head' (analysing the melodic & lyrical structures of the Beatles' oeuvre - alongside detailing the minutiae of the recording sessions and the social & cultural impact of their output) - posits that the 'death/decline' of the hitherto increasingly 'progressive' ingenuity and invention of early to mid-60s pop music went hand-in-hand with the rise of 'riff' based 'Rock Music' arguably pioneered by the virtuoso trio of Bruce, Baker & Clapton in the band 'Cream'.
Such bands, MacDonald notes, increasingly took the clean, 'Rickenbacker jangle' and complex chordal structures of the 'rhythm guitar' - initially championed (and much imitated) by the likes of The Beatles and The Byrds and relegated it (as 100 watt and louder stage amps began to arrive on the scene) to the role of increasingly simplistic distorted 'power chords' before disappearing altogether with the advent of bands like The Who, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc, etc
These bands, taking their cue from 'Cream', produced much simpler music that was distinctly less melodically diverse and complex than that of the Beatles, both in influence and execution and whose musicians were also arguably much less accomplished than the jazz and classically trained core of Cream (notably the veteran afro/polyrhythm influenced jazz drumming of Ginger Baker & former classical Cellist & composer bassist Jack Bruce) as well as featuring Blues 'scholar' and virtuoso Eric 'God' Clapton. Many 'rock' groups who followed in Cream's stead no doubt similarly aspired to the same standard of composition and musicianship but few matched them.
The Who's 'seminal' 'My Generation' - as the words of the (possibly apocryphal) review once famously noted, featured Keith Moon on 'lead drums', bassist John Entwistle playing the 'lead guitar' riffs with Pete Townshend forced to provide the rhythm with simple barre chords. (Moon, as Townshend has oft recalled, was a 'flamboyant' character prone to hitting as many things as possible 'in time' but was literally incapable either of providing a solid backbeat or indeed of using a hi-hat.)
One also can't help but recall here, Lester Bang's notorious summation of 'Black Sabbath' as: 'They're just like Cream - only CRAP!') Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
It's been downhill from thereon (allegedly). :)
By
DrDee, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
@Rich - Killing Joke are arguably the most musically accomplished and influential band of the last 20-30 years, despite some deceptively 'simple' sounding compositions, a notion which anyone attempting to deconstruct & play Geordie Walker's 'Wagnerian' chord shapes (that 'sound like a million orchestras' according to singer & keyboardist Jaz Coleman) is quickly disavowed of.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie_Walker
Coleman himself has conducted the Royal Philharmonic, New Zealand and Czech National orchestras as well as being composer in residence to the Prague Symphony Orchestra,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaz_Coleman
whilst German conductor Klaus Tennstedt has dubbed Coleman the 'new Mahler'.
https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/pictures/classical-music-rocks-20-best-rock-and-classical-c/jaz-coleman/
So, it's certainly not all substanceless shite! :)
Have a look! (and marvel at the 6ths & 9ths - banned in the Middle ages for being 'demonic' hahahahaha)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zETNFX-s6Q4
(includes Kurt Cobain fave [which he completely ripped off for Nirvana's 'Come As You Are'] - 'Eighties') :)
By
DrDee, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
Barry Kramer and Lester Bangs gave me trouble in Detroit, especially when my gang took up band promotions, after my publicity with HAIR.
They hated the publicity our bands got, some opening for Seeger and others.
Kramer even stole a great little band -- Dhobi's Itch -- changed its name and sent them to bars rather than concerts.
A nasty group -- CREEM magazine.
This was heavy metal rock, not very harmonic or tuneful; the Beatles having little influence on such groups.
But we're talking here about insipid music and talent, offering nothing of value as far as music or song-writing goes.
Like "classical" composers today, no one has the moxie to write tunes that sparkle and mean something, even those using current discordancy to make their points.
This didn't just start with Schoenberg or Berg, who could write (and did) complex music that Jung saw as a result of the human anxieties of the early 20th Century when art, too, went into the dumpster.
Today we just have shit....and the listings in The New Yorker point that out, inadvertently.
It's the devolution of culture, humanity even....downhill all the way, as you note Dee.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
DD:
I'll check out Killing Joke, hoping for a tingle, like I got when a new Beatles album came out or when I hear a Mahler work -- or even Schoenberg's Gurre-Lieder.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Wednesday, February 05, 2020
DrDee...Yes! DEVO RULEZ!! :D .. also, you guys, I was a club bouncer in LA/Hollywood in the early to mid-eighties .. bounced at "The World Famous" Whisky-A-GoGo for about a couple of years and recall working a few Killing Joke shows there .. they had a great stripped down no nonsense kinda rythmic pounding sound if I recall correctly .. very crunchy, repetitive(in a good way),and a tad gloom and doom hypnotic .. one of those bands from those long ago days that stay in my memory .. soooooo many bands in LA...
By
Zeke The Poltroon, at Thursday, February 06, 2020
@Zeke - Wow - THE Whiskey-A-Go-Go! Nice!(where The Doors invented and refined their act)
Well Killing Joke are still going strong - and with the original line-up!
Saw 'em a couple of years back at the Rebellion Festival and they were still as sublime as ever. Also saw the reformed DEVO at Manchester Apollo around the same time - excellent band but with the unfortunate death of guitarist Bob Casale - I doubt they'll tour again. :(
Killing Joke are one of the only bands still worth listening to (both musically/lyrically and in interviews - Jaz & Youth are particularly entertaining) and they seem uniquely unaffected by the all-pervasive blandness and political correctness that appears to have infected everything else.
Long may it (and they) continue! :)
By
DrDee, at Thursday, February 06, 2020
@Rich
Thanks, my insomnia makes my brain slow (and me grumpy). Funny, I`m actually not a great fan of hip hop, I mean I`d love to find great new stuff but I`m rather bored with recent hip hop. BTW, I love Spotify, with just a couple of clicks I can listen The Beatles, Charlie Parker, Public Enemy, Rush, Aphex Twin and almost whatever (well, Camel`s Moonmadness they don`t have).
@DrDee
"And for the 'Messiah of the Scientific Age' - here's some science! ;)"
That was interesting :) But I think the problem today is that you can`t find new interesting music just listening radio, you have to do some work, otherwise you`re just stuck with the commercial playlist crap.
JC, The English Assassin
P.S. Dead Can Dance?
By
Jerry Cornelius, at Friday, February 07, 2020
Rich,
Let me be honest: I miss commenting on your blog. Am I allowed back?
By
Anonymous, at Sunday, February 09, 2020
Matty:
You were never forbidden to comment here.
You remain my favorite visitor....sorry others.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Sunday, February 09, 2020
Thank you, Rich. And you're my favorite UFO blogger.
By
Anonymous, at Sunday, February 09, 2020
Luv ya, Matty....
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Sunday, February 09, 2020
@Rich
I`m daft, the thought just hit me...
"The vapid music, art, and dance of today is not unlike the vapid sightings of things in the sky or waters around the globe, both (and all) trite and uninteresting, in every way imaginable."
Wait, maybe UFO experiences really are like the music. Meaning, I feel the real problem with today`s music isn`t that it would be crap, but the fact that (popular) music has became so great entity that we have countless genres and sub-genres and most of them you just can`t hear on any commercial radio station as they just play the (narrowly defined) pop hits of the day and maybe recycle some oldies that everyone has heard a thousand times. If you just listen to commercial radio, you wouldn`t even know that such genres as jazz, metal, progressive rock, folk, blues – or drum`n`bass, experimental electronica, ambient, glitch, chiptune, synthwave or any of the countless subgenres of so-called “electronic music” (which could mean anything from Stockhausen to Radiohead or from BT to Kraftwerk, Delia Derbyshire, Vangelis and Four Tet).
Maybe UFO encounters have also spread out like that, so there are no common experiences anymore? Once upon a time people would see same kind of flying saucers, like they used to listen Elvis or The Beatles, it was a shared experience. But not anymore. Today, you can`t expect anything from your so-called UFO experience, it could be just bright lights or missing time, monsters or retro Martians, an abduction or something almost psychotic.
This makes me wonder if UFOs are some kind of an intelligence, because they seem to react to our actions and find always new forms to harass us (maybe they`re psychic or emotional leeches?)
JC
By
Jerry Cornelius, at Monday, February 10, 2020
Jerry...
Your comment reminded me that my favorite song -- isn't Schubert's "Gute Nacht" from his Winterreise cycle -- but Radiohead's "Creep."
Just sayin'
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Monday, February 10, 2020
@Rich
I know, I`m a creep, I`m a weirdo (at least it feels like that on mondays).
BTW, have you ever tried Kid A or Amnesiac or any later Radiohead albums? Fun stuff, seriously (wait, what did I just say there?).
JC
By
Jerry Cornelius, at Tuesday, February 11, 2020
Post a Comment
<< Home