UFO Conjectures

Thursday, August 08, 2019

Books, books, books….

Copyright 2019, InterAmerica, Inc.

The two Octopus books arrived today (from Amazon):

Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness by Professor of Philosophy Peter Godfrey-Smith (Graduate Center City University, New York and professor of history and philosophy of science at the University of Sydney)

The Soul of the Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Naturalist Sy Montgomery

And one of my Determinism purchases, The Illusion of Determinism: Why Free Will is Real and Causal by Edwin A Locke (Dean’s  Professor of Leadership and Motivation Emeritus at the R.H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland. He is also a Fellow of the Association for Psychological Science and an advocate for Objectivism and Ayn Rand, one of my favorite thinkers, to the dismay of my pal Bryan Sentes)
Determinism or Free Will by Chapman Cohen is yet to come as is Paranormality: Why we believe the Impossible by Professor Richard Wiseman
The Octopus books have color photos – hooray! – and deal not only with the creatures but, as you can see, consciousness which impacts everything I’m discussing lately, especially the Reality/Simulation theses.

Determinism – which Bryan places at the beginning of his scholarly journey and has moved on from apparently – impacts the essence of the Reality/Simulation theses.

Paranormality is the overcoat of everything Nick Redfern wrties about and is the obsessional under-coating of reality for the judicious Paul Kimball and many of his buddies.

So, I’ll be inserting references to all these books in the hope that they help with the UFO topic, UFOs, being my compulsive entrance to things odd or queer. (Don’t read anything into that).

RR

10 Comments:

  • The best books about UFOs have absolutely nothing to do with UFOs.

    PK

    By Blogger Paul Kimball, at Thursday, August 08, 2019  

  • No Roswell Books? :P :D ;-)

    By Blogger Lemurian, at Thursday, August 08, 2019  

  • I have this one coming today:

    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/419OjHWv5ZL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

    I know, I know more Roswell BS...But over on another forum I am a member of there was some discussion on this book so I decided to get it and see what all the fuss was about, mainly negative fuss, but fuss none the less.

    And just got this one:

    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/510Eiu5LZxL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

    Rich that "Paranormality" book looks like a lot of esoteric BS reading the description on Amazon..I started to get it but I am so far behind on my current reading list I decided not too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 10, 2019  

  • Phil:

    I just started reading Paranormality. It's pretty good so far, not heavily scientific but okay.

    I found a few other books in my "new pile" -- but have restrained myself from noting them. Summer reading is supposed to be entertaining.

    One is about Quantum Mechanics and another is 50 of the best philosophical ideas (or something like that).

    Nick's book is a goodie...Area 51 doesn't enthuse me, but it's in the news again so it's a read that may be pertinent. Enjoy.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Saturday, August 10, 2019  

  • Rich, is the cover of "Paranormality" supposed to suggest a Funeral of Crows? I just read a story about crow "mourning" in National Geographic. Apparently this is a thing.

    By Blogger Ron, at Saturday, August 10, 2019  

  • My cover, Ron, shows a bent spoon -- a reference to Uri Geller obviously.

    Have I shown a photo of another cover?

    Yes, crows, like elephants and other mammals (and creatures) mourn. Interesting to me (and you?)

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Saturday, August 10, 2019  

  • LOL. You ran the Cohen bird cover right next to the Wiseman spoon cover, and after having just come off reading about weird crows I mismashed the both of them into one. Not paranormal, just normal for me.

    By Blogger Ron, at Saturday, August 10, 2019  

  • It's the Smiley Blanton Syndrome:

    Where we take information from one source and combine with information from another source (all unconsciously), creating a new information.

    I've written about this a few times here and elsewhere.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Saturday, August 10, 2019  

  • Rich,

    I feel compelled to note that Richard Wiseman is not a reliable commentator on the paranormal. I recommend to you the following paper, to consider alongside his book: https://docdro.id/b0tVSnM. You may also want to have a look at the writing on Wiseman in Robert McLuhan's book _Randi's Prize_ (which was recently reissued) and also Will Storr's _The Heretics_.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, August 11, 2019  

  • Thanks, Matty...

    Wiseman is a bit flippant for my taste(s), and I'll look for the counters to his offerings that you mention.

    (I skipped his First Chapter -- on Fortunetelling, which is something I've written about that my mother engaged in.)

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Sunday, August 11, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home