UFO Conjectures

Tuesday, August 06, 2019

More books and notes on a few I recently recommended

I have two books about Octopuses arriving Thursday (from Amazon). They are pictured here.

I'm fascinated by the creatures and became re-invigorated by current writings intimating that an alien [ET] species might look like octopuses. (The sci-fi movie Arrival depicted the alien presence as octopus-like.)

These two books -- along with a few on Determinism (which broaches my inclination toward the "Our reality may be a computer simulation)" -- may not be your cup o' tea but a few I mentioned the other day should be.

Brent Raynes new book on John Keel, which is loaded with new and corrective material about the man we've all read and find fascinating.

Paul Kimball's 2012 The Other Side of Truth is flush with Paul's take on the Paranormal and UFOs, plus the people involved with both. You can't know how the current UFO community thinks and acts without an understanding of where it's been. And there is no more saner view of the paranormal world that Paul discusses in his book.

And you know my feeling about Steven Connor's The Madness of Knowledge. While it has the patina of philosophy, it isn't a philosophical tome by a long shot. It's a breezy rumination on knowledge and why we humans seek and need it, no matter how woozy it makes us.

RR

5 Comments:

  • Wow, I´m really into cephalopods, they´re such interesting creatures. "Other Minds" is a fine book, that other one I have to check out. You probably know that some scientists seriously think that maybe octopuses came from space...?
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079610718300798?via%3Dihub

    By Blogger Jerry Cornelius, at Tuesday, August 06, 2019  

  • Thanks, Rich. I've purchased books in light of your recommendations and have always enjoyed them. That new Keel book, which I first learned of through your site, recently arrived in the mail. Keel was a maddening and seemingly far from reliable "investigator," but fascinating as you note. I look forward to reading that book.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, August 07, 2019  

  • Rich, I agree cephalopods make a good choice to depict an alien species. I know the joke in scientific circles is that they already are aliens. Certainly their intelligence is above par compared to most species in the animal world. They are so very odd in so many ways, and like snakes, something about them makes our collective lizard brains go into overdrive with revulsion and fear, as well as fascination.

    You mention the movie "Arrival," and I was also taken by their tentacled presence as depicted and wondered how that particular species came to be so technologically (and ethically) advanced. What road did they travel, similar and dissimilar to humans, that brought them out of the ooze to contemplating the universe? The movie also got me to thinking how prevalent their kind is/was in fiction: I can recall Larry Niven's Outsiders; the originally described invaders in Wells' "War of the Worlds"; and Lovecraft's Cthulhu, to name a few off the top. Again the question: why do they stick in our brains? It goes beyond just the literary/TV/film push, I believe, but have no idea where that road leads to.

    I also wonder if their form is somehow non-fictionally favored off-world by a universal natural selection process (yes, you have your doubts about such a thing), and who would win a fight between them and your favored insectoids.

    By Blogger Ron, at Wednesday, August 07, 2019  

  • You fellows inspire me to look for contingencies in our daily lives that impact the UFO phenomenon and us, each day.

    Everything is grist for speculation, including Ron's wondering about natural selection, off-world, a thing he knows I'm not a fan of. (There is much debate lately about Darwinian theory, which I plan to get into here.)

    And Jerry reminding us that there have been suggestions, recently, that octopi may have arrived here from outer space....how would they operate UFO controls with those slimy tentacles?

    Then there's Keel, who Matty and I find fascinating, even though he descended into madness at the end of his life. But up to a point, his views were juicy, so what happened that put him over the edge? (I'm hoping Raynes gives us a clue in his book; I'm nowhere near the final pages, caught in the mental maelstrom of Connor's Mad Knowledge theses.)

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Wednesday, August 07, 2019  

  • "And Jerry reminding us that there have been suggestions, recently, that octopi may have arrived here from outer space....how would they operate UFO controls with those slimy tentacles? "

    Hey, don`t forget we, oops, I mean they`ve got those (what are they called in English?) suction cups (according to Google). Remember Kang and Kodos from the Simpsons....

    By Blogger Jerry Cornelius, at Sunday, August 18, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home