The July 1952 Nash-Fortenberry UFO Sighting
My take Copyright 2017, InterAmerica, Inc.
While foraging the David Wallechinsky/Irving Wallace volumes
of The People’s Almanac and The Book of Lists series, all popular
best-sellers in the 1975-1980 time-frame, I found many interesting accounts of
weird happenings and a listing of some iconic flying saucer/UFO tales, one
being the July 14, 1952 Nash-Fortenberry sighting, which involved commercial
pilots and happened almost exactly four years after the Chiles-Whitted July 24,
1948 sighting of a cigar-shaped craft (that account covered thoroughly by Kevin
Randle, recently, at his blog).
This is a newspaper headline about the 1952 sighting, provided
online by Isaac Koi:
Looking for an internet account, via Google, I came across a
superb Project 1947 offering (provided, with permission, to Project 1947) by Tom
Tulien:
Mr. Tulien’s piece is how UFO accounts, old and new, should
be rendered, but rarely are nowadays.
If I have a caveat, it’s this: Mr. Tulien closes his erudite account of the facts and story with pilot Nash’s thinking on what he and his
co-pilot partner saw:
“Looking at the thing shook us up. We stared at each other,
and all of a sudden there was this realization that our world is not alone in
the universe. Because, nothing could have advanced to that degree of scientific
progress without some of the intermediate steps having become public knowledge,
or, at least known to the people who were flying. Bill had just come out of the
Navy and was fully acquainted with their latest developments. We just knew that they were not from this
planet. I know to this day, that it was nothing from this planet.”
A jump of faith and logic, yes?
How could anyone conclude that the objects seen were not
“from this planet”?
Even in 1952, the predilection was that odd things seen in
the sky were interplanetary craft, ETs.
And as our friend Dominick writes, they may be, but that is
a leap of reason that is flawed (unscientific), however not to some.
RR

4 Comments:
"And as our friend Dominick writes, they may be, but that is a leap of reason that is flawed (unscientific), however not to some."
Not necessarily, Rich. It is NOT a "leap of reason that is flawed" IF every other alternative explanation (for any sighting) can be, by reason, ruled out. I admit that this is unlikely to happen very often, maybe one in a hundred sightings. But what, indeed, about that one?! What we say now, even as scientists, is that we just don't know what that one was...and perhaps some day we will figure it out. Well that's a kind of cop-out. I say that it could well be ET of some sort...and it could well be if every other reasonable hypothesis has been ruled out.
By
Dominick, at Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Well, I'll say this, Dominick..
Last night I was thinking that perhaps an alien species stumbled upon Earth and found it so odd and interesting that it notified its civilization and maybe others, which has brought a spate of visitors.
My problem is, as you know, that the plethora of sightings belies reason.
No civilization would provide such a raft of visitations, even if the visits are by AI entities (robots).
And the "visits" as reported are too weird to indicate an advanced species.
But there is that chance that you hold on to: one visit or sighting by a UFO may, indeed, be an ET visit, something Carl Sagan proposed in his book with Iosif Samuilovich Shklovsky, "Intelligent Life in the Universe."
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Tuesday, July 11, 2017
We agree, finally; well almost. You are absolutely correct that the reported number of sightings "belies reason" as far as any ET connection is concerned. Thousands and thousands of sightings over the last 60 years makes no scientific or economic sense from any ET perspective. Totally absurd so let's rule it out...as both you and I have.
But 3 or 4 a year--or every few years--could be ET connected, more than likely AI rather than anything flesh and blood. I am not at all sure about the "too weird to indicate an advanced species" comment. Most of the genius-types on this planet are pretty damn weird so we can't use weirdness to measure intellect.
By
Dominick, at Tuesday, July 11, 2017
I'm throwing the "too weird" sightings (reports) into the delusional basket, and I think Tm Hebert would agree.
Now comes time to sift through sightings to find a few that would indicate sentience and/or intelligence of a high kind. which might tell us that an advanced species has visited.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Post a Comment
<< Home