While radical skeptics on this blog tend to dismiss the entire UFO phenomena as utter nonsense, the U.S. government (as well as the governments of many other countries) has always maintained a serious interest (and, interestingly, a SECRET interest) in the mystery. This latest NYT revelation demonstrates that the military/intelligence community interest in the subject continues unabated.
I think that the answer to that question is reasonably obvious: Because UFOs, whatever the hell they are, are said to represent a clear threat to "national security". Anything that can outfly our most sophisticated jets (and can, at the same time, also hover in place) represents a "technology" that must be of continuing concern to the military/intelligence community. What is alarming, however, is that so precious little knowledge as to the exact nature of the phenomenon appears to have been obtained after all of these decades of "secret" investigation. Can something be that strange and elusive? (Goodness: the U.S. built an A-bomb from scratch in 4 years!). Puzzling to be sure.
Reading between the lines does not really reveal anything we old timers have not met and heard about before. Keyhoe used to write about secret UFO research going on in the 50s and 60s. Other authors have 'spilt the beans' at times, yet nothing concrete has emerged. This time it sounds more 'official' but again it merely shows how certain individuals believe this or that. Bigelow is well-known already.
Was any actual UFO hardware ever analysed at this collection center or not? Where did it emanate from, and where is it now?
I am afraid this is merely another 'plug' about so-called official interest in UFOs. It MAY possibly lead somewhere but it almost certainly will not. There are clearly officials and scientists who still think the phenomenon worth researching and investigating. Well and good, but there were plenty of such people in the 50s and 60s.
So what advances have been made in UFO study from an official angle, if any?
The point, CDA, that Dominick makes (with which I agree) is that there remains a serious interest in UFOs by agencies of government (and elsewhere I suppose, like think-tanks).
That means something -- whatever that something is.
Dominick also hates the anti-UFO stance by skeptical visitors to the UFO community.
Saying UFOs do not exist indicates that people in government, along with us UFO buffs, are nuts -- chasing a chimera.
Yes, we UFO people are nutty. some more so than others, but UFOs are a reality and getting to the bottom of what that reality is makes for sensible pursuit, at least in the minds of the curious.
Amusing, isn't it? If there is nothing at all, to all this, what was the point of the - "Citizens Hearing to Congress" - on ET/UFO all about, in 2013..? Were they all nuts too? or at that point just plain curious, or both:)...
So, I find CDA's Question; curious:-> So what advances have been made in UFO study from an official angle, if any? <- Since 2013 even!? Its been a bit quiet, so, what's going on there?............
There was a serious interest in UFOs by 'think tanks' back in the late 40s! (Rand Corporation). There has been 'serious interest' at times by other agencies, e.g. the Battelle Institute, so favored by AJB, various companies with or without official support, and of course congressional committees. Even briefly a UN committee I believe. The CIA once had a 'dabble' in UFOs. And the net result: ZERO.
In the end it boils down to what various individuals believe; these may be politicians, astro-scientists, biologists, behavioral scientists, or a few wealthy benefactors (Rockefeller, Bigelow, plus some guy whose name escapes me, etc) and other influential people who may have an interest. Even Trump may turn out to be a UFO fan (though this is hardly obvious right now)
And where is all this getting us? Nowhere at all. It is endlessly repetitive and tiresome. Thank goodness it does not happen in the UK; not so far anyway.
But there is always hope, yes HOPE, of some miracle.
What about this big new asteroid (?) Oumuamua or some such name. Is this the hardware we have all been looking for?
The desire -- nay, hope -- for life elsewhere remains unabated, transmogrifying from the religious oriented needs of the Middle Ages to the ET saturated wishes of modern man.
Even military personnel and think-tankers are enamored or life elsewhere, off the Earth.
As "radical" UFO-Skeptic maybe for some, allow me to say to Dominick it had been if none Army of this world still have no interest to UFO which have surprised me! But but...
Not there are studying UFO as the ufologists think or believe.
But probably because reports, footages, by pilots or not etc. may reveal time to time IFO, from spying craft, new craft, balistic missile tests or failures, new spy satellites, and more mundane military things.
"What about this big new asteroid (?) Oumuamua or some such name. Is this the hardware we have all been looking for?"
As luck would have it I've been reading Arthur C. Clark's Rendezvous with Rama, a great read I had missed, when I recalled the Nov. 22 Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) and thought Rama!
When I went back to comments/discussions of that day and the very first one brought up Rama.
SETI has been scanning it and thus far it is apparently just a very curious interstellar rock:
But it was at the suggestion of Senator Reid and most of the money went to Bigelow's aerospace company. It didn't go to, for example, a secret office in the CIA, the Pentagon, etc.
To me, that doesn't sound like some major, top secret Government program to investigate UFOs.
On the other hand, it sounds exactly like what happens so often in government: they throw dollars to private enterprises to see if anything develops. And if it doesn't, they cancel it.
A couple of years ago, I was knee deep in a debate on a UFO forum concerning UfOs and Nuclear ICBMs (no shocker there!). It was so evident for anyone to see that prior to Blue Books shutdown that the purpose of UFO reporting in the late 1960s was targeting foreign, as in Soviet, et al, development and deployment of new technology.
So is it any surprise that the US government/military would be still interested in new evolving technology? We are now well involved with numerous drone technology and other "weird" things that produce "unknowns" regarding sightings.
Any tangible evidence available from the numerous UFO outlets? I thought not...
I agree completely, Nick. It was just a scam in which a crooked senator funneled money to a Las Vegas businessman friend who then funneled some of it back to the senator.
Corruption in Las Vegas? In government generally? I am shocked!
And then there are two old videos which will be easily explained in no time.
All this shows is that crooks are crooks and that anybody is susceptible to the "UFO" myth and delusion.
I think it is this $22 million that needs explaining. We ought to get a breakdown of how this was spent. Bigelow is a multi-millionaire, maybe a billionaire. Did he use any of his own money on this UFO project, or was it all from federal funds? I expect we shall learn more with time.
Certainly the actual UFO cases won't prove anything useful. Not a chance.
Also, I hope nobody is expecting the 'Oumuamua' (asteroid?) object to turn out to be artificial!
I don't view any of the people in this as crooked and I don't believe it was a scam. I think Reid legitimately wanted the Government to look into it all, but the Govt. was reluctant and finally decided to provide what in government terms was a very small budget for something that didn't last more than a few years. And that's it.
Still, even though it was "funded" by Harry Reid, it was still government money...tax payer money and there should be a paper work trail showing how the funds were dispersed.
As I stated on the Bad UFO blog, where is the RFP, request for proposal, requirement specs, statement of work, program risk analysis, and so forth. Chances are there was none! As an AF program manager (letting and managing Defense contracts), I ran a paltry $6 million contract and had documentation for every single US dollar spent on my effort!
I very much doubt there will ever be a full accounting of the $22 million. Nearly all of it went down the Bigelow Aerospace rabbit hole to the looking-glass world of $600 hammers and toilet seats, never to be seen again.
"Storage for materials recovered from UFOs...." What a hoot!
That it cost $22M is the disclosure! Wait until ToTheStars will ask for a donation to reveal the rest. Like previous comment, I smell sham. I think that if there is something to reveal, E.T. wise, our human psyche would be full gear on showing it. Money I hope, would be irrelevant to the person that holds the key. Revelations be damned, i want consecration
20 Comments:
While radical skeptics on this blog tend to dismiss the entire UFO phenomena as utter nonsense, the U.S. government (as well as the governments of many other countries) has always maintained a serious interest (and, interestingly, a SECRET interest) in the mystery. This latest NYT revelation demonstrates that the military/intelligence community interest in the subject continues unabated.
By
Dominick, at Saturday, December 16, 2017
I agree Dominick...
It seems obvious to me, and the NYT article confirms it, that UFOs remain a sub rosa interest of military organizations and agencies of government.
Why?
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Saturday, December 16, 2017
I think that the answer to that question is reasonably obvious: Because UFOs, whatever the hell they are, are said to represent a clear threat to "national security". Anything that can outfly our most sophisticated jets (and can, at the same time, also hover in place) represents a "technology" that must be of continuing concern to the military/intelligence community. What is alarming, however, is that so precious little knowledge as to the exact nature of the phenomenon appears to have been obtained after all of these decades of "secret" investigation. Can something be that strange and elusive? (Goodness: the U.S. built an A-bomb from scratch in 4 years!). Puzzling to be sure.
By
Dominick, at Saturday, December 16, 2017
Interesting, yet not so interesting.
Reading between the lines does not really reveal anything we old timers have not met and heard about before. Keyhoe used to write about secret UFO research going on in the 50s and 60s. Other authors have 'spilt the beans' at times, yet nothing concrete has emerged. This time it sounds more 'official' but again it merely shows how certain individuals believe this or that. Bigelow is well-known already.
Was any actual UFO hardware ever analysed at this collection center or not? Where did it emanate from, and where is it now?
I am afraid this is merely another 'plug' about so-called official interest in UFOs. It MAY possibly lead somewhere but it almost certainly will not. There are clearly officials and scientists who still think the phenomenon worth researching and investigating. Well and good, but there were plenty of such people in the 50s and 60s.
So what advances have been made in UFO study from an official angle, if any?
By
cda, at Sunday, December 17, 2017
The point, CDA, that Dominick makes (with which I agree) is that there remains a serious interest in UFOs by agencies of government (and elsewhere I suppose, like think-tanks).
That means something -- whatever that something is.
Dominick also hates the anti-UFO stance by skeptical visitors to the UFO community.
Saying UFOs do not exist indicates that people in government, along with us UFO buffs, are nuts -- chasing a chimera.
Yes, we UFO people are nutty. some more so than others, but UFOs are a reality and getting to the bottom of what that reality is makes for sensible pursuit, at least in the minds of the curious.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Sunday, December 17, 2017
One eyebrow raised: Delonge's To the Star involved
One chin scratch: bigelow's underground complex in Las Vegas "revealed"
Looks like lore again
By
Unknown, at Sunday, December 17, 2017
Amusing, isn't it? If there is nothing at all, to all this, what was the point of the - "Citizens Hearing to Congress" - on ET/UFO all about, in 2013..? Were they all nuts too? or at that point just plain curious, or both:)...
So, I find CDA's Question; curious:-> So what advances have been made in UFO study from an official angle, if any? <- Since 2013 even!? Its been a bit quiet, so, what's going on there?............
By
Daniel, at Sunday, December 17, 2017
There was a serious interest in UFOs by 'think tanks' back in the late 40s! (Rand Corporation). There has been 'serious interest' at times by other agencies, e.g. the Battelle Institute, so favored by AJB, various companies with or without official support, and of course congressional committees. Even briefly a UN committee I believe. The CIA once had a 'dabble' in UFOs. And the net result: ZERO.
In the end it boils down to what various individuals believe; these may be politicians, astro-scientists, biologists, behavioral scientists, or a few wealthy benefactors (Rockefeller, Bigelow, plus some guy whose name escapes me, etc) and other influential people who may have an interest. Even Trump may turn out to be a UFO fan (though this is hardly obvious right now)
And where is all this getting us? Nowhere at all. It is endlessly repetitive and tiresome. Thank goodness it does not happen in the UK; not so far anyway.
But there is always hope, yes HOPE, of some miracle.
What about this big new asteroid (?) Oumuamua or some such name. Is this the hardware we have all been looking for?
By
cda, at Sunday, December 17, 2017
Yes, CDA...
The desire -- nay, hope -- for life elsewhere remains unabated, transmogrifying from the religious oriented needs of the Middle Ages to the ET saturated wishes of modern man.
Even military personnel and think-tankers are enamored or life elsewhere, off the Earth.
Is life here that bad?
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Sunday, December 17, 2017
RR,
Can't believe I missed this posting and news of it until just this morning.
So much for the nullists I have so disdained... I may chuckle all day.
As you have so often commented, there are reasonable people observing and honestly reporting UAPs beyond their understanding.
"Transmogrifying"! -So often your command of the language has me going to the dictionary.
BD
By
Bryan Daum, at Monday, December 18, 2017
Hello,
As "radical" UFO-Skeptic maybe for some, allow me to say to Dominick it had been if none Army of this world still have no interest to UFO which have surprised me! But but...
Not there are studying UFO as the ufologists think or believe.
But probably because reports, footages, by pilots or not etc. may reveal time to time IFO, from spying craft, new craft, balistic missile tests or failures, new spy satellites, and more mundane military things.
Regards,
Gilles.
By
Gilles Fernandez, at Monday, December 18, 2017
To CDA:
"What about this big new asteroid (?) Oumuamua or some such name. Is this the hardware we have all been looking for?"
As luck would have it I've been reading Arthur C. Clark's Rendezvous with Rama, a great read I had missed, when I recalled the Nov. 22 Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) and thought Rama!
When I went back to comments/discussions of that day and the very first one brought up Rama.
SETI has been scanning it and thus far it is apparently just a very curious interstellar rock:
https://newatlas.com/radio-oumuamua-interdtellar-probe/52640/
BD
By
Bryan Daum, at Monday, December 18, 2017
Personally, I don't see too much in all this.
Yes, the Govt funded it.
But it was at the suggestion of Senator Reid and most of the money went to Bigelow's aerospace company. It didn't go to, for example, a secret office in the CIA, the Pentagon, etc.
To me, that doesn't sound like some major, top secret Government program to investigate UFOs.
On the other hand, it sounds exactly like what happens so often in government: they throw dollars to private enterprises to see if anything develops. And if it doesn't, they cancel it.
By
Nick Redfern, at Monday, December 18, 2017
A couple of years ago, I was knee deep in a debate on a UFO forum concerning UfOs and Nuclear ICBMs (no shocker there!). It was so evident for anyone to see that prior to Blue Books shutdown that the purpose of UFO reporting in the late 1960s was targeting foreign, as in Soviet, et al, development and deployment of new technology.
So is it any surprise that the US government/military would be still interested in new evolving technology? We are now well involved with numerous drone technology and other "weird" things that produce "unknowns" regarding sightings.
Any tangible evidence available from the numerous UFO outlets? I thought not...
By
Tim Hebert, at Monday, December 18, 2017
"Personally, I don't see too much in all this."
I agree completely, Nick. It was just a scam in which a crooked senator funneled money to a Las Vegas businessman friend who then funneled some of it back to the senator.
Corruption in Las Vegas? In government generally? I am shocked!
And then there are two old videos which will be easily explained in no time.
All this shows is that crooks are crooks and that anybody is susceptible to the "UFO" myth and delusion.
By
zoamchomsky, at Tuesday, December 19, 2017
Zoam:
I think it is this $22 million that needs explaining. We ought to get a breakdown of how this was spent. Bigelow is a multi-millionaire, maybe a billionaire. Did he use any of his own money on this UFO project, or was it all from federal funds? I expect we shall learn more with time.
Certainly the actual UFO cases won't prove anything useful. Not a chance.
Also, I hope nobody is expecting the 'Oumuamua' (asteroid?) object to turn out to be artificial!
By
cda, at Tuesday, December 19, 2017
I don't view any of the people in this as crooked and I don't believe it was a scam. I think Reid legitimately wanted the Government to look into it all, but the Govt. was reluctant and finally decided to provide what in government terms was a very small budget for something that didn't last more than a few years. And that's it.
By
Nick Redfern, at Tuesday, December 19, 2017
Still, even though it was "funded" by Harry Reid, it was still government money...tax payer money and there should be a paper work trail showing how the funds were dispersed.
As I stated on the Bad UFO blog, where is the RFP, request for proposal, requirement specs, statement of work, program risk analysis, and so forth. Chances are there was none! As an AF program manager (letting and managing Defense contracts), I ran a paltry $6 million contract and had documentation for every single US dollar spent on my effort!
By
Tim Hebert, at Tuesday, December 19, 2017
Chris;
I very much doubt there will ever be a full accounting of the $22 million. Nearly all of it went down the Bigelow Aerospace rabbit hole to the looking-glass world of $600 hammers and toilet seats, never to be seen again.
"Storage for materials recovered from UFOs...." What a hoot!
By
zoamchomsky, at Tuesday, December 19, 2017
That it cost $22M is the disclosure! Wait until ToTheStars will ask for a donation to reveal the rest. Like previous comment, I smell sham. I think that if there is something to reveal, E.T. wise, our human psyche would be full gear on showing it. Money I hope, would be irrelevant to the person that holds the key. Revelations be damned, i want consecration
By
Unknown, at Tuesday, December 19, 2017
Post a Comment
<< Home