The word, writing, and visuals: which predominate (in UFO circles)?
Copyright 2018, InterAmerica, Inc.
The great Jacques Derrida provides intellectual sustenance
to those interested in words and writing.
I’m scouring his difficult oeuvre for clarification(s) about
writing. (It’s a task.)
Why am I doing this?
I saw, again, Saturday night, on the Retro movie channel, The
Day the Earth Stood Still, which I dealt with, here, a short while ago.
I noticed that my dismissal of conversation in the movie
about atomic power and its use by humans to travel spaceward was broached by
Klaatu when he met Professor Barnhardt for the first time, the topic centering
about humans bringing atomic violence with them when they finally conquer space
and travel to other planets.
(I concentrated on Klaatu’s speech, to the assembled
scientists at the end of the movie, about human aggression and violence.)
The short dialogue, about atomic space travel and human
violence using it, has become a meme for many in the UFO community, but not
all.
I subverted the brief conversation myself, although it is
the motivating purpose of Klaatu’s visit.
Why?
More interesting, perhaps, is the flying saucer meme that
derives from Klaatu’s space ship, and that in the 1956 film, Earth vs the
Flying Saucers or the perceived shape of The Thing From Another
World’s ice-encased spaceship in that 1951 movie.
Do images supersede words in importance – something Derrida
seems to eschew?
This from a commercial blog:
“It is believed that human communication has existed for
over 30,000 years, but text-based communication has only been around for 3,700
years. So for the vast majority of human history, people have had to
communicate without written word, meaning our brains had plenty of time to
brush up on visual message.”
What messages have we mentally encapsulated about flying
saucers or UFOs from the written word or movies?
Have the images of flying saucers in films taken hold more
prominently than words about them in films and other media?
RR





1 Comments:
I think most of us, would agree that a good story book, or great movies, are just fictional entertainment,for the most part, perhaps with a kernel of truth in some stories, I mean, where do they get these stories in the first place? It must come from somewhere!? with suitable imagination, to entertain. I would imagine some of this, would derive from UFO/Report, etc.The disc shape, we call a flying-saucer, is a disc shape, for one reason that's obvious, and that is, it has an internal high speed disc, for generating huge amounts of energy. So in one sense, one could think of a disc, as a flying Generator...(A Free Energy Generator) THIS, is what the Government, does not want us to know, or understand. This application would free the world from oil - from oil spillage - from pollution. The problem is though, the oil companies will not allow this to takeover their money making profits, and that's another story for another time, in the meanwhile - up goes the price of oil, when it could be so different:[..............
By
Daniel, at Sunday, January 14, 2018
Post a Comment
<< Home