UFO Conjectures

Friday, June 22, 2018

Jose Caravaca's rather thorough and unique account of the Betty/Barney Hill case

https://caravaca102.blogspot.com/2018/06/hill-abduction-between-nazis-star-maps.html

9 Comments:

  • When/how did you became aware of the Normandy landing map relation to Betty Hill ?

    By Blogger Yvan Defoy, at Friday, June 22, 2018  

  • Claude, In the living room of the Rockingham Hotel (New Hampshire) where the Hill's were meeting with members of the NAACP , had hung a picture on the wall with a map of World War II.

    By Blogger jacarav@ca, at Friday, June 22, 2018  

  • The Hills were displaying some PTSD symptoms, so I believe something did happen to them. But that something wasn't an abduction by space aliens or even an encounter with something unknown. What could have actually happened, we can never know. But, I wonder if one or both of them were the targets of an especially terrifying and traumatizing criminal or racially motivated assault.

    Turning the experience into a UFO abduction was a way of repressing a horrific memory that nevertheless had left the couple in emotional distress that ultimately needed to be addressed. Yes, I believe the Hills were in real pain from what happened.

    But the truth of the experience never surfaced under Dr. Simon's hypnosis. We now know from numerous studies that hypnosis doesn't work for recovering fully repressed memories. And, whether or not they ever admitted it to outsiders, the Hills very likely talked to each other about their hypnosis sessions, inadvertently reinforcing each other's false recollections.

    Once the Hills' story became public, it took on a life of its own. Fuller's 1966 book made them celebrities. While Barney died less than three years after its publication, Betty lived into her 80s and seemed to relish her celebrity. Therefore, even if she did eventually remember the truth, why would she share it?

    Two-bit psychology, I know, but just as plausible as any other explanation and much more so than aliens from Zeta Reticuli.

    By Blogger purrlgurrl, at Friday, June 22, 2018  

  • PG, you write:

    "But, I wonder if one or both of them were the targets of an especially terrifying and traumatizing criminal or racially motivated assault."

    I think you're spot on.

    (I've posited the same view often.)

    I liked Betty Hill. She became a dotty old lady, sweet and nutty, just like my favorite ice cream sundaes.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Friday, June 22, 2018  

  • >> "But, I wonder if one or both of them were the targets of an especially terrifying and traumatizing criminal or racially motivated assault."

    >> I think you're spot on.<<

    Betty and Barney had a wild ride no doubt, for which they were ill-prepared. But how much of it was supplied by the Hills themselves? All of it! And when you're concerned with social, particularly racial, issues, the subject just might figure prominently in a "UFO" narrative you create--especially over years of retellings.

    By Blogger zoamchomsky, at Sunday, June 24, 2018  

  • This early 1960s incident corresponds, Zoam, as you know, to the racial strife that Martin Luther King Jr. confronted, as did black Americans all across the country.

    That the Hills may have been the target of some red-neck New Englanders is not an impossibility.

    Or maybe, as your comments suggest to me, the incident was dredged up trauma they experienced earlier in their life or even earlier in that day or trip's time-period.

    At any rate, it's a conjecture to conjure with......perhaps.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Sunday, June 24, 2018  

  • Some three years ago I wrote about the racial component in this case.

    It can be, as Purrlgurrl suggested, some deeply experienced, traumatic encounter - a notion I find interesting, as I have often observed that ufology is white, middle-class, predominantly male and conservative. There are almost no black ufo witnesses on record, and there are no black ufologists in the history of ufology - yet, it says it represents us all.

    When was the last time a ufologist went deep into Harlem, going door to door, clutching his questionnaires? I thought so.

    Or, as I suggested, the difference in how Betty and Barney experienced their abductions can be explained by hereditary inheritance, through race-culture in a segregated country.

    I suggested this a few years ago in my article here, where I zoom in on a very old fear of abduction experienced by scores of African Americans, but little known outside these communities: http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/05/the-night-doctors-the-terror-behind-the-abduction-phenomenon/

    Best regards,

    Theo Paijmans

    By Blogger theo paijmans, at Sunday, June 24, 2018  

  • "when you're concerned with social, particularly racial, issues, the subject just might figure prominently in a "UFO" narrative you create--especially over years of retellings." Meaning:

    It's not necessary to have actually had racially charged traumatic experiences for such to find unconscious expression in a "UFO" narrative if one is predisposed to deep-seated racist FEARS. Just as Betty and Barney never encountered "Invaders from Mars," the Bifrost alien from the "Outer Limits," or real-life NAZIs; but all figured prominently in their "UFO" narrative creation--especially after years of formulation, retellings and reformulations before they arrived at their finished product.

    In short, it's entirely probable, even most plausible, that none of it ever actually happened to the Hills. It's just a another "UFO" fiction expressing the psychology and social environment of its authors inside of the "UFO" delusion.

    By Blogger zoamchomsky, at Monday, June 25, 2018  

  • No. I reject the idea that the Hills' fabricated a UFO experience out of thin air or the cultural zeitgeist. There was an actual trigger event.

    The UFO abduction was a confabulation under hypnosis, to be sure. But something happened to them that left them with free floating anxiety, a constant dis-ease. As someone who's experienced PTSD (and ultimately went through therapy to deal with it), I recognize that as one of its symptoms.

    So while I don't believe the Hills had an encounter with Zeta Reticulans, I believe they did actually experience something deeply disturbing during their trip, however it was something purely terrestrial.



    By Blogger purrlgurrl, at Tuesday, June 26, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home