UFO Conjectures

Sunday, February 04, 2018

UFO buffs and their attention deficit disorder

Copyright 2018, InterAmerica, Inc.

Everyday, I struggle to keep readers (commenters) here on topic, on track with the subject matter I put online.

And I find that my blogger pals, such as Kevin Randle and Nick Redfern, also contend with the same problem: their followers and fans take their ideas and writings and wrap them around what they want to put forward, which, often, has little or nothing to do with the matter at hand.

This bespeaks a mental problem; e.g.. ufologists staying in tune with what is being discussed at the moment they log in to a blog or web-site.

Instead of starting their own UFO domain, online, these slacker ufologists mar the content of those hoping to make points about UFOs that are relevant to the phenomenon or to UFOs in the news of the day.

These wayward people don’t stray maliciously. They just don’t have the mental stamina to stay on point, and wring something worthwhile from the discussions some of us wish to invigorate.

Ufologists are an iffy lot, for a number of reasons, mostly sociopathic or psychological.

Hoping to bring them to academic heel is a daunting task. This mob of mental malcontents has always blocked the path to sensible rumination of the interesting and intriguing phenomenon.

Kevin Randle puts up with comments for his postings that go “into the weeds” as he says.

He, like others, is just happy to get comments, sort of like those Facebookers who probe for “Likes” at their Facebook pages.

I, on the other hand, only let a few off-topic discourses slip through, so I don’t appear as fascistic as some see me.

But it’s an irritation that has to be stemmed if the subject is to be allowed a sensible, intelligent forum from which to be examined.

Is that too much to ask?

RR

10 Comments:

  • Of course it is too much to ask. The wholesale invasion of the earth by these unknown beings from elsewhere is indeed THE most important thing to have happened to the human race since Homo Sapiens first existed.

    N.B. There is slight disagreement about when exactly Homo Sapiens came into existence, but rest assured that the ETs know the answer and will tell us, unambiguously, very soon.

    By Blogger cda, at Sunday, February 04, 2018  

  • And of course, Dear Christopher, you are off topic, but considering your legacy, that's okay with me.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Sunday, February 04, 2018  

  • Are we really, [OFF TOPPIC] or is it a Reality, that doesn't suit the mind-set?.....

    By Blogger Daniel, at Sunday, February 04, 2018  

  • No, it's off-topic Daniel; that's the reality.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Sunday, February 04, 2018  

  • Have you considered adding a Topic line to your articles? You always have the option to not post a comment you believe is 'off-topic'

    I think the idea of 'topics' is bizarre. This isn't English Composition 101. Most people (and this goes back at least to when I began online in 1991) want to discuss matters, rather than submit their essay on the "topic" (after having sussed it out). Discussion, not essay.

    This continued bs about 'off-topic' simply results in 0 comments. You and Randle and Redfern then can enjoy talking to yourselves.

    Yes, I really read and post to blogs because I like being disciplined and graded. No thanks.

    Best Regards,

    Don

    By Blogger Don, at Monday, February 05, 2018  

  • yeah, i know what you mean and...oh, hang on there's a talking dog on TV! ;)

    By Blogger Nick Redfern, at Monday, February 05, 2018  


  • -> The wholesale invasion of the earth by these unknown beings from elsewhere is indeed THE most important thing to have happened to the human race since Homo Sapiens first existed. <-

    I agree with this comment, and WHY is it being suppressed & kept from us!?
    If it is the truth we want, then it should be the truth that prevails!!
    The witnesses reports, back it up, & there is no two ways about it!

    Yes, some reports may be in error, but not all of them!...

    You only need "ONE" convincing report that's compelling, and the rest do not matter. In a Court of law, we would hang a man for less, but the UFO subject is stretched like a rubber-band...

    In my opinion; Pilots, Radar, and Crop-Circles, come close to sharing the same interest, to what's going on in this World..............

    By Blogger Daniel, at Monday, February 05, 2018  

  • Don:

    As one of those who likes to take a topic into the weeds, you surely would feel offended by my rant.

    But, while this blog, and a few others, are not serious grammar or literary expressions worth a pristine academic response.

    Keeping to the point of a particular posting (article), one allows others not to slink away, frustrated by the hedgy discourse.

    I've known readers who've thrown up their hands at all the dodgy discourse that takes hold of an interesting topic (UFO and otherwise).

    I have a MediaWatch site -- extant since 1990 -- that harasses news media folk who lose contact with their stories.

    I would be remiss in not holding out for readers (commenters) here to hold to the topic at hand.

    It's exactly as I've noted: an attention deficit disorder, well known to the psychological (and academic) field(s).

    It's problematic, and my old pal, Richard Hall, used to fume at how many times such wayward discourse invaded and ruined a topic at UFO Updates.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Monday, February 05, 2018  

  • I'm not offended, Rich. In fact, it takes me back to the day...nostalgia...deja vu...

    Here's the way topics are taken into the weeds.

    You (or Nick or Kevin) post an article inviting comments. You publish comments.

    The majority of off-topic comments you identify are actually sub-topics being discussed by some commenters. If you allow an off-topic post by a ufo skeptic, a ufo advocate is likely to reply, and likely more than one of each species (of commenter). By allowing the first off-topic, you legitimize their comments' topicalness.

    "It's exactly as I've noted: an attention deficit disorder, well known to the psychological (and academic) field(s)."

    Speaking of ADD:

    You own the blog. You control which comments are posted.

    Then you (and Kevin and Nick) have something to bitch about.

    You do it to yourselves.

    Best Regards,

    Don

    By Blogger Don, at Tuesday, February 06, 2018  

  • Don:

    I'm not picking on you.

    You have always provided interesting buffer to the topics brought up here and elsewhere.

    My pal Zoam takes topics far afield as does CDA, often, and Terry the Censor, among others.

    I find the comments taken into the weeds interesting and have often noted, as has Kevin I think, that he and I have been edified by footnotes, sometimes more so than the topic content getting the spotlight.

    But the meandering often gets out of hand, especially at Kevin's blog as he, the polite gentleman he is, allows his followers free rein where as I, usually do not.

    But the UFO topic has to be confined by reason, logic, and stealthy thinking.

    This is not the case in the UFO community, far from it.

    I just want to make sure that my observation is noted so that a few visitors here will abide, giving me surcease from stupidity, which I am subjected to in scads at Facebook, using this blog to give me some intellectual solace, which I often don't provide myself, sadly.

    RR

    By Blogger RRRGroup, at Tuesday, February 06, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home