The so-called greys [ETs]
Copyright 2020, InterAmerica, Inc.
This ‘piece has to do with the “evolution” of the
extraterrestrial “greys” ET meme, already touched upon in my previous “Movie
ETs” piece the other day.
Matty presented, in his defense of “the Greys are ET
visitors in those UFOs” we are contending with here and in Ufology generally,
the Aleister Crowley “entity” called Lam, Matty showing “Lam” alongside a
rendition of what Ufology keeps presenting as a version of the supposed ET UFO
visitors:
Here’s a piece about the Crowley Lam, nonsense as I see it,
by Daniel V. Boudillion:
And his comparative version of Lam and UFO’s alien visitors,
the “greys”:
The whole Aleister Crowley oeuvre, while mired in some
interesting thought and reference material, is a side-show that mars the
Ufological landscape, because it takes the UFO phenomenon from a researchable
arena into a subjective venue where Satanic and goofy occult practices and
beliefs prevail.
The picture of Crowley’s Lam represents, as I see it, a
represen- tation of an encephalopathic being, not a perceived “grey” alien, noted
before its appearance in UFO lore.
The “grey ET” meme or visage has creeped up on UFO buffs and
the public because of its dominance in extraterrestrial stories and UFO
accounts, even when those accounts are void of any such ET visitation that
could remotely be of frail, grey-hued entities.
The Grey alien representation may be ascribed to Jung’s
Collective Unconscious, if pushed hard enough or, more seriously, if it comes
from a saturation of the Grey ET meme that has taken hold of the popular desire
to see extraterrestrials as something humans might be able to cope with they show
up to conquer Earth.
Either way, I’m sick to death of seeing Crowley’s Lam as a
comparative with the Grey ET representation.
Both are flawed and sidetracking images that reasonable
(sensible) UFO researchers and investigators would be smart (wise) to eschew.
RR

13 Comments:
Hang on, Rich. I don't think greys, or any of the other "humanoids," are ET.
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
That's how I'm reading your views Matty, my pal.
Tell me (us) more.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
OK, Rich. (Let me emphasize that the following case that you’ve requested offers evidence of the weakest kind—it’s merely suggestive and speculative, as all efforts to make sense of UFO phenomena, especially their stranger aspects, are.)
Here's where I think you go seriously awry in your thinking on this topic: "[occult matters, e.g. Crowley's stuff take] the UFO phenomenon from a researchable arena into a subjective venue where Satanic and goofy occult practices and beliefs prevail."
In the first place, the UFO subject is as freighted with goofiness as anything. The idea that it's in better intellectual standing than weird paranormal matters in general, which connect with occultism, New Age thought, Satanism, etc., is misguided.
More importantly, as you must be aware, UFO researchers have repeatedly observed the "demonic" quality of UFO phenomena, e.g. Vallee and Keel. Less well known is the relevant work of Lynn Catoe, who is or at least was a bibliographer for the Library of Congress. Having reviewed an enormous amount of literature on UFOs, she noted the following in the preface to her _UFOs and Related Subjects: An Annotated Bibliography_ (1969):
"Many of the UFO reports now being published in the popular press recount alleged incidents that are strikingly similar to demoniac possession and psychic phenomena which have long been known to theologians and parapsychologists. Therefore, references to these subjects have been included as well as references to occult works which have similarities to the general tone and content of the UFO literature."
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
Then we have the many reports suggesting an association between engagement with the occult and experiences of "alien" and UFO phenomena. Take the following from abduction researcher David Ruffino, who very probably overstates his claim but certainly isn't the only person to make this basic observation it presents: "It is pretty well known in the UFO realm, and this is backed up by our research, that all abductees have had some sort of involvement with the occult, either through direct involvement or through the involvement of a close blood relative." Michael Heiser's presentation on alien abduction is also informative here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7sYjW9Tt-U.
Now, with all of this in the background, it hardly seems to me irrelevant that Crowley, in his occult activities, came into contact with an entity sporting a lightbulb-shaped head, small nose, small mouth, and relatively large eyes.
Here’s Adam Gorightly on the matter (*all that follows is from him—I’m not bothering to add quotation marks*):
It was through the Amalantrah Working—which included the ingestion of hashish and mescaline in its rituals—that Crowley came into contact with an interdimensional entity named Lam, who by the way just happens to be a dead ringer for the popular conception of the 'Grey' alien depicted on the cover of Whitley Strieber's Communion. Crowley called them ‘Enochian entities’ because he purportedly contacted them by using ‘Enochian calls,’ a Cabalistic system/language devised by 17th century Elizabethan magician, Dr. John Dee. From this alleged encounter, some have inferred that the industrious Mr. Crowley intentionally opened a portal of entry through the practice of ritual magick, which allowed the likes of Lam and other 'alien greys' a passageway onto the Earth plane. Dr. John Dee and his ‘scryer,’ Edward Kelly, had their own strange encounters with—as they called them—‘little men’ who moved about ‘in a little fiery cloud,’ thus a pattern exists in the lore of ritual magic connecting UFOs to sorcery.
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
Gorightly continues (again, everything that follows is from him):
Some now believe that what Crowley tapped into was the same cosmic current that helped launch the current rash of alien abductions, as reported by such UFO researchers as Bud Hopkins, John Mack, David Jacobs, et al. When making these connections, bear in mind that many abductees recall their encounters with these grey skinned creatures only after they've been hypnotically regressed. Once again, we see that trance states—not unlike those altered states of consciousness produced during rituals such as the Amalantrah Working—are often the triggering factor which opens up a portal for these strange entities. According to Kenneth Grant, current day adepts of Crowley, who follow in his footsteps practicing ritual magick to invoke these "alien entities," have continued this tradition.
In Outside the Circles of Time, Grant writes:
Some believe that the UFO phenomena are part of the "miracle," and a mounting mass of evidence seems to suggest that mysterious entities have been located within the earth's ambience for countless centuries and that more and more people are being born with innate ability to see, or in some way sense their presence.... Prayer for deific intervention in ancient times has now became a cri de coeur to extra-terrestrial or interdimensional entities, according to whether the manifestations are viewed as occurring within man's consciousness, or outside himself in apparently objective but often-invisible entities. New Isis Lodge has in its archives the sigils of some of these entities. The sigils come from a grimoire of unknown origin, which forms part of the dark quabalahs of Besqul, located by magicians in the Tunnel of Quliefi. The grimoire describes Four Gates of extraterrestrial entry into, and emergence from, the known Universe.
What Grant is speaking of is a form of ritual magick practiced by such groups as the Golden Dawn, and the Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.). "Sigils" are line drawings and diagrams that serve as signatures of entities accessible to a trained magician familiar with "Enochian calls" and other methods of summoning "spirits." A grimoire is a directory of such sigils, and a manual for their use.
A noted disciple of Crowley's, Jack Parsons—one time head of the California branch of the O.T.O., and renowned rocket scientist—carried on this tradition of interdimensional contact when, in 1946—with the aid of "Frater H."—he made contact with some sort of entities not at all unlike Crowley's "Lam." This all took place during a series of magick rituals deemed The Babalon Workings. What makes this story all the more bizarre is that Parsons' accomplice in this endeavor—the aforementioned Frater H.—became more commonly known afterwards as charismatic cult leader L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.
Apparently, Hubbard played a role similar to that of Edward Kelley, "scryer" for the aforementioned Dr. John Dee, of whom Crowley was an ardent admirer. A scryer works as a receptor of otherworldly communications, often using a crystal ball or similar device in conjunction with the magician's rituals and ceremonies to summon beings from other dimensions.
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
Now you may not like this approach to UFO-associated "entities," Rich, and certainly, to repeat, the evidence I've offered here is very weak and merely suggestive. But I don't see how, in light of what I've presented, the Lam-Grey parallel should simply be brushed aside. With all of the relevant information assembled, it's no less striking than the various connections between UFO claims and science fiction, etc., that the "psychosocial" debunkers try to draw.
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
Thanks very much Matty.
I am not far from your view of the material you've painstakingly present.
I had a preface to the piece we're discussing that indicated a thought I have about the demonic aura you cite, my view derived from the Kugel book, which I hope to provide upcoming.
But I pulled that opener to keep the topic to "greys" -- without side-tracking into the nether world that some, Dee, Keel (particularly), and others, see as part of the phenomenon.
That written, I am offput by Blavasky, Crowley, and that crowd as they are not metaphysical but warped, as I see it, by an overlay that became silly in the early 1900s, pushed by Harry Houdini's exposes of the nonsense of spiritualism.
Moreover, the interpretive speculation that Lam is remarkably similar to the depictions of the "greys" really gets my goat.
It's a stretch. Had Lam come forth with the "correct eyes and nose" said to be endemic to the supposed "greys," I'd sit up and pay more attention.
I appreciate, more than I'm writing here, your effort to clarify where you stand on the matter.
And it makes a kind of sense, one that actually corresponds to my upcoming view derived from Kugel's scholarly tome.
But that for another time.
And let me ask this, do you see an underlying residue of memory and moral mishap affecting the views of Crowley, et al.?
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
Thank you, Rich.
"underlying residue of memory and moral mishap affecting the views of Crowley, et al.?"
I'm unsure what you have in mind.
I'll say that I think Crowley and his whole "crowd" were profoundly evil people, certainly. I reject occultism and think everyone should stay away from it. That it can apparently bring people into contact with nefarious otherworldly beings isn't a possibility that surprises me, given its deeply unholy nature.
The same applies to spiritualism. But I disagree with Houdini that spiritualism was all bunk in the sense of involving nothing but fakery and lacking a paranormal aspect--even though there was a LOT of fakery. Certainly there were many problems with Houdini's criticisms. Consider: https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/harry-houdini#Criticisms
The change of view re: physical mediumship of the initially very skeptical Hereward Carrington, who was a very able amateur magician and psychical researcher, was a major factor in my coming to believe certain seance phenomena are or at least were paranormal. Carrington:
"I personally am quite convinced of the reality of materialization. In saying this, however, it must not be understood that I accept the majority of phenomena which have been adduced it its favor; far from it. With few exceptions, every materializing medium I have ever seen has turned out, upon investigation, to be an arrant fraud. Nevertheless, such phenomena exist, and I believe that, in the presence of Eusapia Palladino, I have seen materializations of an unquestionably genuine character. I have seen, touched, and felt hands and portions of a living body which have occasionally melted in my grasp. It is my belief that similar manifestations have been seen by others, in the presence of such mediums as Home, Eva C., Willi and Rudi Schneider, etc. Genuine phenomena of the sort may be rare, but they are, in my estimation, undoubted."
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on Lam's resemblance to greys. The most divergent feature re: the archetypal grey is the eyes. On the other hand, greys haven't been consistently reported to have giant, all-black, almond-shaped eyes.
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
The resemblance of Lam to "greys" is in the eye(s) of the beholder(s).
Since I a loath to accept grey ETs at all, I guess I'd place any connection a look-alike also in my throwaway bin.
Satanists also get my indifference.
I like the two accounts that Jose likes....Ms. Rosa Lotti and the woman washing her clothes who was also encountered by mischievous elf-like entities.
And then those Rosales' humanoids....they fascinate....but from where (and why).
More to come....and I hope you hang in there with me, even as I irk you with my appeal to (my own) authority.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
I'm an irascible asshole sometimes, Rich, as you must know by now. Sorry about that. But you know I love ya.
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 29, 2020
I know we are close Matty and can be bastards sometimes. That's what makes this fun.
Otherwise we'd have nothing or very little...UFOs so demandingly irritating.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Sunday, March 01, 2020
I don't think the Crowley figure should be associated with aliens specifically, but Lam and greys could be the result of our cultural expectations.
The study of human ancestors and living primates sometimes suggested that intelligence was, in large part, determined by brain size. That might be true when species show small differences in DNA but huge differences in cognitive abilities and brain size (e.g. chimps and modern humans). That inference has led some people to assume that even within a species, bigger brains necessarily meant higher intelligence (e.g. the old suggestion that women were not equipped to benefit from higher education, or to be trusted with the vote, and prejudice against African populations). One example from entertainment is the 1892 Conan Doyle story, "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," where Sherlock Holmes, studying an oversize hat, deduces that the owner possessed a superior intellect. We know better now, benefitting from research on cortical layer cell density, amongst other factors.
Anyway, if my armchair conjecture is correct, this cultural expectation predates Lam (1918) and movie aliens (1950s). Could such a conception of "higher" intellect or "higher" consciousness cause us to imagine that beings from transcendant realms or capable of interstellar travel must have bigger brains? And the bigger the better?
If so, does this also explain an earlier question by Rich about why Hill-type and greys are usually reported to be male? Because we used to associate higher intelligence/bigger brains with men? And when contactees wanted to tell a sexy story of interplanetary love, a female alien with a human-sized brain was sufficient?
This is all conjecture. Buffs with broader knowledge of contact cases can confirm or disconfirm my theorising. I have to go correct some shoddy assertions on a baseball blog!
By
Terry the Censor, at Monday, March 02, 2020
Terry,
Although you didn't claim that I am, I'll emphasize again that I'm not committed to the view that Lam or greys are ETs. I can't rule that possibility out, but it's not one for which I argue.
You seem to think that there's no evidence that brain size and intelligence are positively associated in humans. That's just incorrect. Individual differences in brain size are robustly associated with variation in intelligence in humans:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289618301703
"This is the pattern of genetic results expected from a causal effect of brain size on intelligence. These findings give reason to take up the hypothesis that the dramatic increase in brain volume over the course of human evolution has been the result of natural selection favoring general intelligence."
See also https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797618808470
Whether there's a *necessary* connection between individual differences in brain size and cognitive ability across species is a different matter, but not one that needs to be settled to establish such a connection in humans.
As for your conjecture, given the variety of reported "alien" morphology, I'm not sure what to make of it. Is there any reported feature of "aliens" that couldn't be ascribed to some psychological feature of humans (e.g. some evolutionary psychologists understand the widespread human fear of snakes as an adaptive response to the hazards that some snakes pose to people--so surely the reptilian "alien" archetype, with its trappings of evil, reflects our deep-seated snake fears, etc.).
By
Anonymous, at Monday, March 02, 2020
Post a Comment
<< Home