UFOs: Hunkering down into irrelevancy or oblivion
Copyright 2020, InterAmerica, Inc.
My (often) pal, academic Bryan Sentes and I had a “heated”
dis- cussion on Facebook yesterday [2/13/20].
I exasperate him with my cock-eyed views, but I still
contend that he likes to zero in on one aspect of a matter and hope to clarify
the whole matter by milking that one angle, which is often esoteric to the
point of irrelevancy. (I won’t elaborate.)
This is how it is in the UFO world.
Some UFO fanatics have a favorite UFO sighting or event and
that one incident often consumes them to the point where their interest in the
phenomenon becomes irrelevant; they are so absorbed by their pet sighting, they
miss the forest for the trees.
Why Nick Redfern is so popular is that he takes into account
every- thing that he finds pertinent to the UFO mystery, and I mean everything.
Kevin Randle is doing the same, now that Roswell has
released its hold on him.
Socorro held me in its grasp but I think I’ve pretty much
moved on to other UFO matters, even to where I’m throwing everything into the
UFO soup.
One former visitor here extolled common sense when dealing
with UFOs, but where does that take us? That’s the lazy person’s out. It
releases them from really thinking about the enigma seriously.
Usurping time to review, over and over again, the so-called
“alien autopsy” or Rendlesham’s AF prank on Brits or Kecksburg’s fallen
satellite is folly but some UFO buffs, who should know better, don’t understand
their obsession(s).
In Bryan Sentes mind, a small matter does matter, and in UFO
research a small matter (or detail) may provide that essential clue that
resolves the mystery.
Rosewell has been milked dry, but we all know that. Arnold’s
1947 flying saucer sighting is as dry as a cactus weed but still draws
commentary, some here even by Dr.Dee who’s trying to get my pal José Caravaca
to alter his interesting Distortion Theory because of it.
Erica Lukes is absorbed by Skinwalker Ranch and Robert
Bigelow, but that scrutiny has merit. Something’s going on there.
Chris O’Brien and his “research team” are checking out UFOs
over Colorado with equipment to determine their essence I think. That has merit
too, but Colorado? Where marijuana is now legal, and I suppose things flying
above have become common to potheads. Fortunately Chris knows how to separate
the wheat from the toke.
Curt Collins ferrets out relevant issues from past and
current UFO events but he’s one of the few who does that successfully. Others I
know just keep spitting out the same old, same old canards and “information”
that we all know better than our spouses Valentine’s desires.
There comes a time to fish or cut bait, but that only for
the UFO sideliners.
Those mentioned here, and a few not, should keep at it. The
UFO phenomenon is worth the effort.
(And I’ll try to provide something I think is relevant. My
book publisher wants a book, but I’m too old and too tired to come up with one,
but I’ll offer, upcoming, something almost unique that will stir some of the
UFO masses to commentary or vomit; either way, stand by.)
RR






12 Comments:
Shameful lack video footage on Skinwalker Ranch. The 'paranormal hotspot of the world' and we have ....nothing to show for it. I probably wouldn't be as interested if George Knapp didn't associate himself to it. Jeremy Corbell's documentary didn't provide anything new except even more anecdotes. I would have thought producing scientific evidence for just one of those claims would be a game-changer.
By
Dvelys, at Friday, February 14, 2020
Evidently it's not for lack of trying, in light of the descriptions of research efforts in _Hunt for the Skinwalker_. The investigators' claims about the "phenomena" seeming to actively frustrate their research align with what's been reported by many different groups about their attempts to videotape poltergeist activity, etc. (see, e.g., Healy and Cropper's book, _Australian Poltergeist_).
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 15, 2020
Ghosts and gouls avoiding the cameras.. That old chestnut!
Saying that, I think I can be convinced there's something going on here at Skinwalker ranch. I'm surprised it gets little attention here.
By
Dvelys, at Sunday, February 16, 2020
One can dismiss the claim out of hand. But I don't see any easy way to reject all of the testimony to this effect from multiple research teams that won't amount to the same old snarky, finger-wagging "skeptic" bluffing bullshit.
By
Anonymous, at Sunday, February 16, 2020
The points raised in the discussion here are valid: https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/7v2i5l/the_disappointment_of_the_skinwalker/
In a nutshell, there's no evidence whatsoever and Tom Gorman's original intentions should be questioned.
By
Dvelys, at Monday, February 17, 2020
Dvelys,
I took the time to read the post you linked and every single comment on it. Why you thought I should waste my time with all of that, I have no idea. Apart from the typical "skeptic" rush to character assassination on the thinnest bases, hardly anything in there adds to the complaints you've already made.
Crucially, you and others seem committed to the fantastically absurd idea that eyewitness testimony isn't evidence of *any kind*. A lot of "skeptics" present this idea as if it were self-evidently true, when it's in fact just wrong. If "skeptics" were consistent in their extremely negative assessment of eyewitness testimony, they'd have to dismiss a very good deal of scientific research that they unthinkingly accept, since in many cases all the data in a study are merely records of researchers' naked-eye observations--there are no videos, photos, or whatever to substantiate these, and they are thus taken on trust until there's reason to doubt them (e.g. evidence of fraud, questionable research practices, etc.).
The usual reason given for dismissing eyewitness testimony as not constituting evidence, even weak evidence, is that eyewitness memory and perception are terribly unreliable. This is also false. The research on which this claim is based is typically underpowered and poorly conducted. Further, it subjects participants to contrived conditions that are *designed* to engender memory errors (e.g. inaccuracies in recall). When memory is tested under circumstances more reflective of "real life," participants' recall of observed events tends to be not just accurate but highly accurate.
By
Anonymous, at Monday, February 17, 2020
Matty,
I find it a bizarre twist on reality that scepticism, as the default proposition, is criticised with regards to parapsychology. Now that is absurd!
By
Dvelys, at Tuesday, February 18, 2020
Dvelys,
I put scare quotes around the words skeptic and skeptics for a reason. The people I criticize aren't skeptics in the benign sense. Moreover, that you think the points that I raise can be set aside simply because skepticism is the "default position" (something I wouldn't accept is true unless the term is defined in a very precise and specific way) suggests very confused thinking on your part.
By
Anonymous, at Tuesday, February 18, 2020
We will have to agree to disagree, Matty.
By
Dvelys, at Wednesday, February 19, 2020
Thanks for the shout out Rich, I like the cheeky chappie humor. Did YOU know,Colorado's San Luis Valley has been a UAP/UFO/AAO hot spot since the 1950s and is w/o question one of NoAmerica's premier sighting locations? Most of the witnesses there are ranchers and farmers—NOT potheads (who are usually inside their homes w/ their glass bongs and munchies). UFODAP systems FYI Rich are now also located in CA, Northern UT and will be going in next door to the misnamed "skinwalker ranch" this spring. I'm happy to report that YES even more systems are slated for installation next spring and summer! I may not be a (so-called) ufologist like you, but if I was, this project is what I'd be working on! It's tough making history, but somebody's got to do it! ;)
By
Christopher O'Brien, at Monday, February 24, 2020
Christopher, my "young friend" --
If anyone gets at the heart of the UFO mystery, it will be you and your team.
I know you are diligent and thorough besides being smart, so I'm expecting good things from you, upcoming
Always the best, buddy boy....always.
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Monday, February 24, 2020
"Socorro held me in its grasp but I think I’ve pretty much moved on ...". There's only so much one can study and opine about it, so "moving on" is pretty much expected for a well-adjusted person (I contrast that with religious devotees, who can harp on the same material day after day, year after year). It certainly seems to be the best documented case ever, and unless some 'kids who perpetrated the hoax' finally fess up in the next 20 years or so (they'd all be 90+ at that point, why not admit to a hoax?), then we are left with the ridiculous ET explanation (light-years, inter-stellar travel ... ain't happening) or *something else* is going on. It seems like more and more people are coming to the conclusion that brief intrusions into our reality occasionally take place, and Socorro appears to be the best example of that. A daytime, modern era, physical traces sighting by a respectable person (1960's era policeman - probably near the top in terms of credibility)investigated to the absolute max, and marked "Unexplained". So for me, moving on from Socorro in UFOlogy is not possible, I would instead say "that's all folks" and consider myself retired.
By
jamesrav, at Wednesday, February 26, 2020
Post a Comment
<< Home