The Great Shift by James Kugel (On its way to some of you?)
Copyright 2020, InterAmerica, Inc.
I’m at page 235, highlighting like crazy.
The book tells about the gods and how monotheism finally
assumed its hold.
The appearance of God, how He was seen by humans and then
not.
The “evil” of God is cited (and His obtuse behavior).
Human consciousness, when it seemed to arrive, and how Homer
presented it.
And much more…..
But for our purposes here:
How the Ancient Alien “theory” is undercut.
And a scenario that explains the UFO phenomenon.
RR

4 Comments:
Rich,
The book has been very good and interesting so far. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Dr. Kugel's straightforward writing is commendable. I'm iffy on a lot of his readings of Bible passages, though, but I don't dispute the impressiveness of the thinking that went into them.
The book makes me wonder if God has arranged human evolution such as to ensure that people nowadays, at their potentially late stage of human development, are not particularly sensitive to otherworldly inputs, since Scripture is complete.
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 22, 2020
Matty, my dear, dear pal...
Do you really think humans are "at their potentially late stage of human development"?
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Saturday, February 22, 2020
Rich,
Probably. Not because we've hit some theoretical limit on human development, but because, in light of the relevant evidence that I've mentioned elsewhere on this blog, human cognitive potential is in decline. I believe that you indicated some possible evidence of that the other day on here, where you lamented apparent cultural degradation.
By
Anonymous, at Saturday, February 22, 2020
Yes, Matt...
Human beings have hit a wall. I have an hypothesis why but it's a bit controversial.
We'll have to get into it eventually but already feedback from Bryan Sentes about my "premise" has caused ripples among those who think that some primitive cultures, including the Trump followers (his base), are just super wonderful, even as their societies are dead or dying.
Bryan thinks not about the human species as a whole but likes pockets of cultural dead-ends, because they are charming or quaint, even in their death throes.
I don't want to bring the matter forward as it side-tracks the UFO centered points I keep trying to stick with, ineffectively because of my own wayward, tangential offshoots.
There are backyards where refinement and cultures struggle to maintain the once glorified aspects of humanity, but they are merely oases in a desert full of dry heat and no sustaining elements, sort of like this blog, where I have a rational few persons (you among them) who exemplify how the UFO phenomenon should be discussed or thought about while the bulk of UFOers are raving like the Druids exampled in Charles Ives "The Unanswered Question."
RR
By
RRRGroup, at Saturday, February 22, 2020
Post a Comment
<< Home